Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I will be one of the Lord's missionaries to bring the world His truth!



This was one of the most special moments in my life, thus far!


I have been preparing to serve a mission ever since I was a little girl. I can remember singing, "We are as the army of Helaman - we have been taught in our youth. And we will be the Lord's missionaries to bring the world His truth." My family has set an incredible example for me. All of my aunts have served faithful missions - even those who married into the family! They served all over the world! Places such as: Taiwan, Spain, Russia, Peru, Denmark, Connecticut, Ecuador, etc. and even Argentina! My Dad served a faithful mission in Tennessee and my brother Ben served a faithful mission in South Carolina (Spanish speaking!).

For quite some time I have hoped to be able to serve a mission. A few months before I turned 21, I started to seriously pray about a mission. I prayed, fasted, and pondered about the possibility from June to August of 2009. At the beginning of August I made the decision to serve and prayed to Heavenly Father if that decision was the right one for me. I receieved a definite YES! I was SO excited! It took a while to get my interviews, put together my papers, and send it to the Bretheren, but the day finally arrived when I got my call. Thanks to a few tender mercies of the Lord, I was able to open my call with my extended Tingey family there.

Before I opened my call I prayed fervently to my Father in Heaven. I committed myself to serving the Lord and asked to be reassured that my assignment came from Him. I waited in great anticipation, my heart beating wildly, growing anxious to know where I was meant to serve. I opened my call - and began to read. My heart lept as I saw, "ARGENTINA," on the second line! I immediately felt a burst of joy, happiness, comfort, and reassurance that this is where the Lord has been preparing me to serve. I will finally serve a full-time mission, like I have been preparing to do since I was a little girl. It is a dream come true!

I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only true church on the earth because it has the correct authority and keys from God. I testify that Jesus Christ suffered and died for us, so that we would have a way to be forgiven of our sins and weaknesses, be resurrected, and return to live with our Heavenly Father forever. I know Joseph Smith is a prophet of God that assisted in the restoration of the gospel on the earth. I know that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon and that the Book of Mormon will help us come closer to Christ better than any other book. I know that in the holy temples of our Lord, we can be sealed to our families forever. This gospel of Jesus Christ makes me so happy!

I am excited to share this message with all of the people in Argentina! This blog is designed for all those who are curious to see how I am doing over the next year and a half; you can also see how the work of the Lord is progressing in Bahia Blanca, Argentina.

I love all of you!

Hermana Alison Jane Tingey
-Ali-

P.S. I also LOVE letters!

2 comments:

  1. This is so exciting. I really appreciate you sharing this experience and your testimony. I'll write to you if you write to me! i expect my call any day now.
    your old friend,
    -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali is the bomba! We love you and pray for your success in learning espanol. You can do it. Uncle Scooter did. Now you'll know what Ben and Jackie are whispering to each other.

    ReplyDelete